PhD position position in climate and environmental remote sensing
The research group Climate and Environmental Remote Sensing of the Department of Geodesy and Geoinformation of TU Wien is seeking a motivated
University Assistant in microwave remote sensing of vegetation (m/f)
The new Climate and Environmental Remote Sensing group develops long-term remote sensing datasets of soil moisture and vegetation and uses them to address urgent climatological and environmental issues. We work closely together with the Microwave Remote Sensing group, one of the world leading groups in the retrieval of soil moisture and land surface characteristics from active microwave remote sensing. Together we employ about 40 staff members currently working on approximately 15 projects supported by various national, European and international programs, grants and funding sources.
To support our research, we are looking for a Ph.D. candidate with a strong technological interest to support our activities in the field of microwave remote sensing of vegetation properties. The selected candidate will be responsible for developing new vegetation products based on (microwave) remote sensing and using them for evaluating and improving dynamic global vegetation models (DGVMs).
- Master degree in geodesy, geoinformation sciences, environmental sciences, information sci-ences, physics, physical geography, or similar
- Experience in (microwave) remote sensing
- Profound knowledge in programming (e.g. Python, R, Matlab, C++)
- Ambition to perform scientific research and pursue a PhD dissertation
- Experience in hydrological or environmental modelling
- Willingness to support the educational programme of our department
- Good written and spoken communication skills in English
- Experience with cloud computing
- The opportunity to work in an innovative, motivated and successful team
- Possibility to enroll in the PhD program of TU Wien
- Flexible working hours
- Workplace close to city center of Vienna
- A stimulating and friendly working environment at the department
- The position is limited to 4 years and will be in an extent of 25 hours per week. Through third-party funds the extent can be increased to a maximum of 40 hours per week.
- The salary for this position is based on the Austrian regulations for university staff. The monthly minimum gross salary ranges between € 1.706,90 (MSc level) for a 25 h/week employment and € 2.731,00 for a 40h/week employment. The monthly salary is paid 14 times per year.
If this job opportunity fits your ambition we are looking forward to receiving your application (cover letter, CV, relevant references and possible publications) in English and as one single PDF file via e-mail to Ms. Barbara Triebl-Kraus at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for application is 9 November 2017. TU Wien will not refund any cost occurring in the course of an application.
For further information, please contact Prof. Wouter Dorigo at email@example.com.
Please find the official German version of this job offer at https://tiss.tuwien.ac.at/mbl/knoten/anzeigen/24424
A PDF version of this job offer is linked below.