Postdoctoral Researcher: Satellite Data Assimilation for Soil Moisture Estimation, Leuven, Belgium
We are searching for an enthusiastic postdoctoral researcher with experience in land surface modeling and/or data assimilation to implement advanced modules into an existing global land surface data assimilation system. You will be part of the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Division Soil and Water Management, at the KU Leuven (Belgium), working under the supervision of prof. Gabrielle De Lannoy.
Soil moisture is a key variable in the water, energy and carbon cycle over land. The objective of this project is to merge large-scale land surface simulations with satellite-based microwave observations, using an advanced data assimilation scheme which corrects for both the random and persistent errors in soil moisture estimates. The improved soil moisture time series will help enhancing subsequent predictions of flooding, landslides, soil and vegetation carbon, deeper groundwater and the atmospheric boundary layer.
Our team: http://ees.kuleuven.be/bwb/index.html
- Perform and disseminate highly qualitative research related to land surface modeling, observation and data assimilation
- Possibly supervise PhD or master thesis students
- PhD degree in Hydrology, Civil or Environmental Engineering, Meteorology, Remotely Sensed Earth Observation, Physics, Mathematics, Computer Sciences, or equivalent
- Experience with data-processing applications such as Matlab/Python, IDL,GrADS, R, or other
- Experience in programming and scientific computing
- Excellent motivation and grades
- Creative, critical, analytical and innovative mindset
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, proven in publications
- 2-year position with a competitive salary; support in career development
- Multi-disciplinary and international professional environment
- Leuven is a charming historical university town, located in the heart of Western Europe
Only persons matching the above profile should apply. Please submit your resume, along with a motivation letter and two names for references on-line. The start date is 1 June 2017, but earlier or later start dates can be negotiated. For more information please contact prof. Gabrielle De Lannoy, tel.: +32 16 37 67 13, mail: email@example.com.
Apply for this job no later than 15 May, 2017 via the online application tool. The position will remain open until filled by an excellent candidate: http://www.kuleuven.be/eapplyingforjobs/light/54117873